Brief History

Lymestone Hill Association., Inc.

A Member Community in the Town of DeWitt

The Lymestone Hill Association, Inc. was created in 1964 by residents of Colonial Drive, Highbridge Road and Brockway Lane.  It was initially intended as a membership club “to provide entertainment, sport and recreation of all kinds; to construct . . . operate and maintain clubhouse facilities . . . for the carrying on of recreations and diversions of all kinds and descriptions” for club members, guests, and friends. 

In 1973 the Association became a nonprofit corporation, and in 1998 the purposes of the Association were restated:

To maintain common areas of the residential subdivision . . .known as Lymestone Hill, to enforce the Protective Covenants. . . . and to  generally promote and protect the interests of the residents of the greater Lymestone Hill Community.

One of the premier communities in Central New York, Lymestone Hill is beloved for its quiet, park-like setting.  With private road access, Lymestone Hill members are just minutes away from convenient access to shopping, to hospitals, to University Hill and Downtown Syracuse, and to all major traffic arteries.

The Lymestone Hill Association is governed by a nine-member board of directors with each director elected by the members to serve a three-year term.  The Association is funded by member dues and, when advisable, by special assessments.

Development

Lymestone Hill properties were developed in sections by the Onondaga Subdivision Company.

  • Section 1 – Colonial Drive (1964)
  • Section 2 – Highfield Road (1967)
  • Section 3 – Pine Valle Drive, Old Quarry Road, Saratoga Circle (1968)
  • Section 4 – Bridle Path Road (1969)
  • Section 5 – St. Andrew’s Circle and Lymekiln Road (1972)
  • Section 5 A – Pine Valley cul de sac and descending Old Quarry Road (1973)

Adjacent properties were developed by William James Camperlino.

  • Lymestone Hill Extension – Pine Valley Drive (1982)
  • Highfield Estates, Section 1 (1983)
  • Highfield Estates, Section 2 (1990)

Property owned by Peter Hopkins extended from Old Quarry Road between St. Andrew’s Circle and Lymekiln Road (1994).

Subsections identified from several sources and include approximations.
Greenspace totals 69 ½ acres
Early aerial photo (~1964). Visible is the construction road from Lyndon Corner to Colonial Drive. There is no Highfield Road, no Pine Valley, no Bridle Path (or trees!) at this point.

Quarry

“Old Quarry Road.”  “Lymekiln Road.”  “Bridle Path.”
More than quaint names, these are links to the history
of Lymestone Hill.

“That is not a natural formation,” said a neighbor agreeably, pointing to a 30-foot ledge.  “That is part of an old limestone mine.”

It was a new homeowner’s introduction to Lymestone Hill, the site of a gypsum mine that operated between 1812 and 1910.  The mine was owned by the Wilcox family and later by H.H. Lansing, a Wilcox in-law.   Captain Samuel Wilcox, a Revolutionary War veteran, participated at Bunker Hill and served under Colonel Benedict Arnold during the Battle of Quebec.  Later captured, Samuel was imprisoned on a British ship in New York harbor for the duration of the war.  He was eventually given land in Central New York as a bounty for veterans.

A military tract in CNY was divided into 28 townships of 100 lots of 600 acres each in the Onondaga and Cayuga Nation territory.   On July 3, 1790 veterans drew lots for acreage that varied with their rank.  As a former officer, Samuel was awarded some 600 acres of Lot 63 on the Genesee Turnpike, a toll road.  He established a farm and opened a tavern at the “V” intersection of the Turnpike and the High Bridge Road (Route 92).  Originally called Young’s Settlement, this location became known as The Huddle and later, as Orville.  Orville became DeWitt. Of the six Wilcox offspring, son Asel (Asahel) opened a limestone mine in 1812 with a contract for 2,000 tons at $2.00 per ton.  With the opening of the Erie Canal in the 1820s, gypsum from “Lymestone Hill” was shipped from Jones Landing (Cedar Bay).  The unpaved Canal Road, later Lyndon Road, was the route for mule teams hauling wagons from the Wilcox mine to Jones Landing.

Photo from Gypsum Deposits of New York, University of the State of New York Education Department Bulletin, 1910, p. 32.

Sources

Onondaga Historical Association, “Veterans Draw For Lots in the Military Tract,” accessed at: https://www.cnyhistory.org/2016/07/revolutionary-war-military-tract/
Barbara Rivette, Manlius Town Historian, “Lyndon/ The Huddle,” May 9, 2014
Dwight H. Bruce (ed.), “Onondaga’s Centennial,” Boston History Co., 1896, Vol. II
D.H. Newland and Henry Leighton, “Gypsum Deposits of New York,” University of the State of New York Education Department, 1910
Jennifer-Jones-Binghamton, “Whitcombe and Jones: Ahnentafel Report for Jennifer Stephanie Whitcombe,” Geneology.com.  Accessed as:  https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/j/o/n/Jennifer-Jones-Binghamton/BOOK-0001/0004-0010.html